Homework for 25th class

For homework, please read pages 141-174 (Chapters 23-29) of Island of the Blue Dolphins.

 

Please respond to the following on the forum (250 word minimum):

Imagine that you had been left on the island under the same circumstances as Karana. Describe how you would have survived some of the hardships and threats to survival that she faced (earthquake, wild dogs, the Aleut invasions, etc.)

 

Translate the paragraph on p.159 in Ch. 27 beginning “The air was suddenly tight around me. There was a faint sound as if…”

Original Post

I don't think I can survive by myself in that sort of environment unless I'm very lucky. If I had been left on this island, I will do what Karana has did. I will collect food and water, and make a house of my own. But one thing will be different: i will kill the dogs instead of use them as a pet. I don't think it's better, but I think i will do it if i'm left on the island. 

I would devide the island into several parts using fences made of huge bones and vines which have poisonous thorns which can be used to kill some wild dogs. And the whole idea is to build an arch-like path which leads to different resourses from home. And the plant would be planted on the arch so that Aleut cannot find me easily. Outside each bone, there will be a fire stick hanging on it which can be used to make light at night to keep away the animals. Of course, except the house, there will be a shelter which can be used to store food, transportation and keep me away from the rolling rocks when the earthquake happens. And once the arch is finished, I would collect some big flat rock to be placed near the coast. So when I shout at the right place, the echo can travel a lot farther to tell the people who will rescue me that there is a person out there. 

If I had been left on the island, first, I will find some sticks and leathers that had be left, to build a house for myself. I will also find a cave or something that I can hide went the Aleuts come. I will try to make some tools and weapons by myself. They are made of stones and branches. I can find some food and catch some fish to eat. I may give some of it to wild dogs. Maybe we can be friends and live together. They can also protect me from other dangerous creatures. If there is a earthquake, I will stay in my house and force myself not to fell asleep. I will prepare a canoe if I need to get out of this island.

If I were Karana, I would build my house with light woods for they wouldn’t hurt me very much when earthquake happened. I would also build something locked into the ground in the necessary place (like the place near where I speared the fish and the place near where I gathered the plants, etc.). I could hold both them and my dog when the storm came. For the wild dogs, I would take arrows and woods (which were used to set fires) wherever I went. I would also store some necessary things in a cave for me to hide when the Aleuts came.

However, I think that Karana’s biggest hardship was the loneliness. If I were her, perhaps I would go mad. I would try to make friends with some animals and kept waiting for the ship and, I don’t know…




Bob, the honesty of your answer is candid and reflects your understanding of the difficulties Karana faces. You identify that you would kill the wild dogs instead of befriending them-- an interesting extension of our discussion in class. Nice work.
 
Originally Posted by bob:

I don't think I can survive by myself in that sort of environment unless I'm very lucky. If I had been left on this island, I will do what Karana has did. I will collect food and water, and make a house of my own. But one thing will be different: i will kill the dogs instead of use them as a pet. I don't think it's better, but I think i will do it if i'm left on the island. 

 

Jimmy-- excellent creativity and thoughtfulness in your response! You addressed many aspects critical to survival. Nice work and good attention to detail in the book in order to best plan your living arrangement. Keep up the good writing. Originally Posted by Jimmy:

I would devide the island into several parts using fences made of huge bones and vines which have poisonous thorns which can be used to kill some wild dogs. And the whole idea is to build an arch-like path which leads to different resourses from home. And the plant would be planted on the arch so that Aleut cannot find me easily. Outside each bone, there will be a fire stick hanging on it which can be used to make light at night to keep away the animals. Of course, except the house, there will be a shelter which can be used to store food, transportation and keep me away from the rolling rocks when the earthquake happens. And once the arch is finished, I would collect some big flat rock to be placed near the coast. So when I shout at the right place, the echo can travel a lot farther to tell the people who will rescue me that there is a person out there. 

 

Good writing Sally-- your grammar and spelling are near perfect. You suggest many of the same survival tactics Karana relies on. You are generous to suggest you will share your food with the wild dogs. Originally Posted by Sally:

If I had been left on the island, first, I will find some sticks and leathers that had be left, to build a house for myself. I will also find a cave or something that I can hide went the Aleuts come. I will try to make some tools and weapons by myself. They are made of stones and branches. I can find some food and catch some fish to eat. I may give some of it to wild dogs. Maybe we can be friends and live together. They can also protect me from other dangerous creatures. If there is a earthquake, I will stay in my house and force myself not to fell asleep. I will prepare a canoe if I need to get out of this island.

 

Nancy, have confidence in your answer! No need to conclude with "and I don't know…". You are thoughtful to address the practical concerns of your survival while admitting loneliness will be the most difficult aspect. You demonstrate that you would be very resourceful! Originally Posted by Nancy:

If I were Karana, I would build my house with light woods for they wouldn’t hurt me very much when earthquake happened. I would also build something locked into the ground in the necessary place (like the place near where I speared the fish and the place near where I gathered the plants, etc.). I could hold both them and my dog when the storm came. For the wild dogs, I would take arrows and woods (which were used to set fires) wherever I went. I would also store some necessary things in a cave for me to hide when the Aleuts came.

However, I think that Karana’s biggest hardship was the loneliness. If I were her, perhaps I would go mad. I would try to make friends with some animals and kept waiting for the ship and, I don’t know…




 

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×