Skip to main content

Reply to "Homework for Lesson #12, The Curious Incident..."

James' Essay:

Christopher’s father plays an important role in the whole story line and his character impresses many readers. And at least I am impressed by him. 

At the very beginning, I thought Father is just a normal person and I didn't like him because he always shout to his son and makes his son not do many things. I don't like a Father being like that, and to my opinion, he is restricting his son’s freedom even in the case that there will not be any danger.

But my mind kept changing when I knew that Christopher is a special boy. Then, I could always notice how hard Father is working and taking care of his special son. Sometimes I felt like I could understand why Father is being so angry or annoyed, and I even wanted to suggest Christopher to mind his behavior. For instance, he doesn't listen to his father often and he refused to eat some things after father well prepared them. 

As the story goes farther, I knew more about father. I knew that he is holding a huge secret; I knew he is suffering while living; and I even could see how deeply he loves his son even Christopher leaves him; I knew that he feels regretful and down as going to the hell; I knew that he tries every means to seek his son back to home; and I could imagine how he feels when he is staying at home alone or when he shouts to Mother and Mr. Shears. He loves his son most and he does lots of things for his son. He never hates his son even he leaves him, and he even stops hating Mother when he knows getting along with Mother can somehow bring his son back to him.

I think Father can also be treated as a main character of this novel, and it is Father that helps to consolidate the whole story structure.

He is the greatest father whether he is the most perfect or not.