Skip to main content

Reply to "Homework for Lesson #12, The Curious Incident..."

Jesse's Homework:

As I flipped through they last page of the book, I was surprised: What? That’s it? It seems like the book ended in a absurd way, because nothing big and “the prince and princess lived happily forever” has happened. But think about it, Christopher is a special need, and from the words and stories that happened we can understand that he is a kind of people who always wants to be contented with waist he want. So the original intention of the book was to find out who killed Wellington, it was solved, so to Christopher, this book should end here.

Looking back onto the last few chapters, plot development has fluctuate a lot, which is okay because Christopher just wanted to describe things. I think this is a good end for Christopher because he finally has his math test and got a excellent grade, his mother came back even though she was asked to move out. He solve the problem about Wellington, and he went to London on his own. It’s like what he said in the end: this means that I can do anything. Even though I sort of laugh at it, it’s still a adorable and perfect ending.

What’s interesting is few things happened in the book, just like the Catcher in the Rye, Christopher didn’t describe EVERYTHING, though he actually spent too much on some specific details. What I think is that Christopher depicted every events that’s related the the main plot, such as the conversation with Mrs. Alexander, or the way Mr. Shears talked with his mother. These details all uncover the relationships between people and explain some of the things happened after. This might be a good writing skill because you don’t want to reveal things by saying “oh, then I found out that my mom was with Mr/ Shears”or “they broke up eventually”, which is dumb.

Lastly, I think as a special need writer, Christopher has done a great job. He not only described things well, but also have persisted in writing this book, I wouldn’t have been able to do it if I was the writer. So I think this is a nice story, with interesting characters and plots with suspension, with some interesting graphs and pictures that made this book different from the others.