Skip to main content

Reply to "Homework for Lesson #12, The Curious Incident..."

Sally's Homework:

I want to compare The curious incident of the dog in the night-time to The catcher in the rye. First, they are both great books about kid. They showed the story from a kids view. Both of the main-character was different from other people in the novel. Holden is different because he sees the dark side of the society and he was protecting other kids from getting in to it. Christopher is different, which is obvious to see, that he has some mental problem. I know that at my age, it’s hard for me to understand the absolute meaning of the book, but because I am still a kid, these novels arouse my sympathy. The difference between two novels is that if we put Holden in our real life, he is just a normal kid. J.D Salinger was using him to show abnormal society. But Christopher was truly different. I can not even understand what he was doing and saying at first. While, although it take time to understand, it’s interesting to see life in a different way, in a view of a “psychopath”. At the same time, I can understand people who are different from me better. They also have there own feelings and maybe they are a genius! 

Their writing style were also similar to each other. They do not have a complicated plot. The whole story was like an conversation. It feels like that Christopher and Holden are just standing in front of you and telling you what had happened, because the writer adds many of the character’s thoughts and describe the feelings. And those seemed so real that you might think it’s not a novel but a real story. That catches me immediately.