Skip to main content

Please Finish Kira-Kira and Read Chapter 1 of The Outsiders

Writing Assignment:  Cynthia Kadahota's Kira-Kira offers numerous instances of the kind of prejudice Japanese-Americans living in the United States suffered following World War II.  But it also describes incidents in which Americans refused to prejudge Katie and her family. Please write a paragraph or two that describes these incidents and remember to introduce the author and the book before you do.

You will also have to come up with an opening sentence or two that generally sets the stage for what's to come, something like this (PLEASE DO NOT COPY THIS; IT IS JUST AN EXAMPLE)." In her novel, Kira-Kira Cynthia Kadahota, describes in painful detail the prejudice many Americans of Japanese descent faced following World War II. However, she also suggests that some Americans refused to be influenced by the stereotypes that the war had fostered (encouraged)."

Last edited by Laraine
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In Cynthia Kadahota's Kira-kira, the author wrote that many Americans were not nice to Japanese people after World War II, but she also wrote that some Americans were nice to Japanese people. Some Americans in the book were really bad to Japanese people. When Katie was at school, the girls there were not polite to her. When Katie's family was going to rent a flat, the owner of the flat asked for higher rent just because they are Japanese people. But at the same time, some Americans were still nice to Katie's family. When Sammy was hurt by Mr Lyndon's trap, Hank Garvin helped them impartially and took Sammy to a hospital. At last, I want to say that there must be some bad people in the world, but there are also some good people. And good people are always more than bad people!
In Cynthia Kadahota’s Kira-Kira, the author describe Japanese’s poor plight in America following World War Ⅱ. Also, she points out some Americans to discriminate against Japanese. In the book, Lynn once warns Katie: Maybe they won’t like you. In a new place, Katie may think her new friends will like her, but Lynn pulls her back into fact. She told Katie the truth: maybe they will discriminate against you. This is the first way the author point out about the discriminate against. Here is the second way: When Katie and Lynn with their father to find a motel, the women in the reception desk rude at them. I think this is a way of discriminate against. At last I want to say: during World WarⅡ, American put those who live in America but they were Japanese under house arrest. American may always discriminate against others, like the Negros, the Chinese, and the Indian. Because the American is intruders, they found the American Continent and occupy it. That’s what the old European do. PS. I’m not discriminate against the American; I just want to show my idea. If I hurt you, I’m sorry.

@Cindy You didn't hurt my feelings. I worry, too, that we, Americans that is, can't stop discrminating against others, even though we finally managed to make an African-American president, an act that made me proud but certainly did not eliminate all discrimination against any number of people of different colors and beliefs.

You do an excellent job of showing how Kadahota shows discrimination, and I like, in particular, the lines "Lynn pulls her back into fact (my favorite part). She told Katie the truth: (Perfect use of the colon) maybe they will discriminate against you."

As always, you have a lovely and poetic way with words. Great too that you used "plight" correctly and know the correct preposition to use with discriminate (against). 

I will send you some additional comments via e-mail. Really nice work and some lovely writing. 

Last edited by Laraine

@ Mark  Very well done, and I love how you make the transition (But at the same time) from Kadahota's focus on discrimination to her emphasis on people like Garvin, who treats everyone equally. Very smoothly done. And your conclusion is just perfect. ( I hope you are right that the good people will always outnumber the bad. ) You also do a good job using evidence from the book to back up what you say. Very nicely done. I will also send you some comments via e-mail. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.