Skip to main content

Reading Assignment: pp.38-69 A Long Walk to Water

Writing Assignment: Please write a paragraph in which you start by pointing out that in Of Mice and Men Steinbeck was, among other things, offering readers a picture of race relationships in the 1930s. Be sure, however, to identify what the picture was like. Was it a depressing picture? Did it suggest a good relationship beween the races or a bad one?

Here's an example:" In Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck forced readers to take a long hard look at the relatonship between the races and what they saw wasn't pretty. In Steinbeck's world, power is not in black hands. This lack of power is clear in the scene where.... (This is a transition to get you into the pararphrase of the scene)"

Once you introduce your point,  illustrate that point by paraphrasing (putting into your own words), what Crooks does in the passage shown below. Next, explain how Curley's wife responds and the effect her response has on Crooks.

"Crooks stood up from his bunk and faced her. “I had enough,” he said coldly. “You got no rights comin’ in a colored man’s room. You got no rights messing around in here at all. Now you jus’ get out, an’ get out quick. If you don’t, I’m gonna ast the boss not to ever let you come in the barn no more.” (Steinbeck, John. Of Mice and Men (p. 80)

THE POINT OF THIS EXERCISE IS TO GIVE YOU PRACTICE USING EVIDENCE FROM THE BOOK TO SUPPORT YOUR POINT OF VIEW. USING EVIDENCE FROM THE BOOK IS AN ESSENTIAL SKILL FOR WRITING IN SCHOOL. YOU MAY HATE ME NOW. BUT IF YOU COME TO SCHOOL IN THE STATES, YOU WILL FORGIVE ME WHEN YOU CAN DO SOMETHING OTHER PEOPLE ARE JUST LEARNING.

Write me with any questions. See you next week. Laraine

Last edited by Laraine
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In Of Mice and Men John Steinbeck forced readers to take a long hard look at the relatonship between the races and what they saw wasn't pretty. The black men(like Crooks) and the workers(like George and Lennie) were controlled by the rich, white bosses(like Slim) and the white rich people near the bosses(like Curley and his wife). And they had to listen to the bosses for their meals and place to live. Sometimes the workers feel angry about that and want to fight against the people up their head, the bosses can threaten them. And then everything are the same as before. The book shows the lives of the people at the butt of the social was so hard at that time. Their lives was so touching.

Hi Mark, You definitely have a clear understanding of how the society worked at the time. I'm not so sure, though, that I would include Slim among the rich white bosses. But you are certainly right -and this is part of the naturalist tradtiion--that nothing ever changes.

What's missing here is the reaction of Crook's to Curley's wife, her response to him and the effect that response has on Crooks.  But now I'm worried that's my fault because I made the assignment so long. If you get a chance, consider revising to include this part of the assignment: 

Then illustrate that point (that relationships between black and white were all in favor of white people making black people serve them) by  paraphrasing (putting into your own words), what Crooks does in the passage shown below.. Next,  explain how Curley's wife responds and the effect her response has on Crooks.    (Note this has three parts: (1) paraphrase (2) Curley's wife's response (3) Crooks's reaction

"Crooks stood up from his bunk and faced her. “I had enough,” he said coldly. “You got no rights comin’ in a colored man’s room. You got no rights messing around in here at all. Now you jus’ get out, an’ get out quick. If you don’t, I’m gonna ast the boss not to ever let you come in the barn no more.”  (Steinbeck, John. Of Mice and Men (p. 80)

I know I owe you an e-mail about last week's asssignment. I'll send that out to today and then follow with one about this assignment. 

Last edited by Laraine

This is Berry's response to the assignment and a thoughtful one it is:

In Of Mice and Men John Steinbeck forced readers to take a long hard look at the relatonship between the races and what they saw wasn't pretty. In Steinbeck's world, power is not in black hands. why i say like this?
i want show you a paragraph to evidence my words.

"Crooks stood up from his bunk and faced her. “I had enough,” he said coldly. “You got no rights comin’ in a colored man’s room. You got no rights messing around in here at all. Now you jus’ get out, an’ get out quick. If you don’t, I’m gonna ask the boss not to ever let you come in the barn no more.”

It is a paragraph that Crooks refuse Curley's wife.his experience when he was young made him want to keep dignity imminently. But this dignity seemed so ridiculous.May be because discrimination has been entrenched,so that Curley's wife don't care about it.Crooks is so poor,because at that time,he can't choose his life,his status.it is his life,i think he is unwilling,but he can't change anything. so he is brusque to treat people who entry his room,he just want to protect his dignity,poor dignity.Because in that time,Crooks just a nigger,and i as my words just now, in American,discrimination is entrenched,Crooks' servile in his heart and it's hard to change and erase. So he tried to use his status---worker to confute Curley's wife. Last-mintue,he just wants equal.-----so poor!

I guess you are thinking about the response of Curley's wife,my dear readers. well,then let me content you.
she replied Crooks so dismissive'----She turned on him in scorn. “Listen, Nigger,” she said. “You know what I can do to you if you open your trap?”
  Crooks stared hopelessly at her, and then he sat down on his bunk and drew into himself.
  She closed on him. “You know what I could do?”
  Crooks seemed to grow smaller, and he pressed himself against the wall. “Yes, ma’am.”
  “Well, you keep your place then, Nigger. I could get you strung upon a tree so easy it ain’t even funny.”
  Crooks had reduced himself to nothing. There was no personality, no ego—nothing to arouse either like or dislike. He said, “Yes, ma’am,” and his voice was toneless.

i beg you guys to notice the sentence that is red.i really like this.Every time i read this sentence, i tell myself--so delicate dignity! His protective layer collapsed so easily! Curley's wife didn't care his dignity,through the book,we can just see the system of the society so strict. Actually,in my opinion, i think maybe Curley's wife arrogant,in her mind she always think she is noble and flash.it has some relationship with her dream--actress dream.She is not going to treat Crooks as a person,just as a slave.

i think there is a contrast[in my intuition],Crooks tried to keep his dignity so hard,It can even be said that he used his whole body strength,but Curley's wife beat him with some compact words and even without any strength.------because of hers dismissive.

This is a really fascinating response Berry. Although I will write more via e-mail, these are some of my thoughts.  You are absolutely right about the sentence in red being critical to Crooks's response to the threat made by Curley's wife. Intentionally (in other words on purpose),Steinbeck wants to depict (show) the way a black person had to survive in the thirties when white people were around. They had  to efface (wipe out) any sense of their own wishes and feelings. So yes "so delicate dignity," especially when you are black and could at the time be killed for showing any dignity.  I love too your description of what happened to Crooks as the collapse of his "protective layer." Beautifully said. Your insight into the work is truly amazing! 

Last edited by Laraine
In Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck shows readers the relationship between the races in 1930s in America. At that time, most people in countryside don’t have works. They only work for the riches----The Farmers. Also in 1930s, the poor and the rich were quite different. People in the countryside can only earn a little money. And that mean George and Lennie’s dream will never come true. It shows the relationship between the races in 1930s in America not very good. And during Great Depression time in America, the relationship between races all like this.

Well once again,  Cindy, you know a term that surprises me. You know that period was called "The Great Depression." You have turned you sentences very nicely (expressed yourself very well). But I think you forgot about Crooks. However, I do think  you have the correct image of America at that time, and in some places, today. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.