Skip to main content

Reading Assignment: Pages 113- 151 Chapters 9 and 10.

Writing Assignment: Last week’s writing assignment asked you describe the relationship between Lynn and Katie. However, it was based on what you knew about the two girls so far. For this week, use what you said in the last assignment to describe how that relationship began to change and explain the causes of that change. Your opening sentence would read something like this, “In Cynthia Kadahota’s novel Kira-Kira, the two sisters central to the story, Katie and Lynn, start out as deeply devoted to one another, with Lynn taking care of Katie and Katie openly adoring her older sister. But as the novel unfolds, ….

Please remember when I say "Your opening sentence would read something like this," I am just giving you an example. I really want you to come up with your own words for the opening.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In Cynthia Kadahota’s novel Kira-Kira, the two sisters central to the story, Katie and Lynn, start out as deeply devoted to one another, with Lynn taking care of Katie and Katie openly adoring her older sister. But when the sisters were both growing up, Katie didn't adore Lynn anymore. Lynn didn't play with Katie much and Lynn laughed at her when she tell her secret to her, so she thought that shows Lynn doesn't love her anymore. And Lynn wanted to make Katie become thought Katie isn't like a girl, so she tried to make Katie do things like her. But the sisters didn't like the same thing, so they thought the other one is not as good as she used to be.

In Cynthia Kadohata’s Kira-Kira, the two sisters, Lynn and Katie had a deep friendship. Lynn was the older of the two, she taught Katie many things and took care of her. Katie, a cute girl, who often relies on Lynn, was the younger of the two. At the beginning of the book, they played with each other and had a good time. After Lynn had made a friend, Amber, at school, their friendship wasn’t as strong as before. However, the one who took care of Lynn when she was sick was Katie, and the one who would never betray her was still Katie. After Amber dropped Lynn, Katie and Lynn’s friendship became as good as before. This reminds me that the affection from my family was very precious. Your family would always be on your side and fought with you. Anyhow, your true friends and family would never drop you.

This is a lovely piece of writing with some lovely sentences. You did a great job identifying what kept the girls together despite that awful Amber, and an equally excellent job using transitions like "At the beginning of the book" to keep your reader in touch with your train of thought.  You also used a very clear and graceful conclusion to bring the writing to a close. I will e-mail you some additional comments. But, in general, this is really great!

Last edited by Laraine

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.