Skip to main content

Here are the assignments for class on the 26th. The reading assignment is somewhat longer than usual. Get started early and do the best you can.

Reading Assignment: Read Chapters 2-4. pp. 19-68 of The 0utsiders

Writing Assignment: Katie, in Cynthia Kadhota's novel Kira-Kira, was profoundly influenced by her sister Lynn. Please write a paragraph or two about someone who had a similar influence on you. Please make sure to include an introduction that refers to the book, something like this:

"Cynthia Kadahota's novel Kira-Kira illustrates how profoundly another person can influence our behavior, and it is Lynn who helps her little sister grow into a responsible young adult. Like Katie, I can think of a person who had a huge influence on me. That person is....

The introduction for this assignment is somehwat harder than the others have been, so if you can't come up with your own, use this one. But please try to create your own.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Cynthia Kadahota's novel Kira-Kira illustrates how profoundly another person can influence our behavior, and it is Lynn who helps her little sister grow into a responsible young adult. Like Katie, I can think of a person who had a huge influence on me. That person is my maths teacher. She was also the teacher in charge of our class when I was in elementary school. She always told us to be active and try new things even may be failed. Once she told us a story, I can't remember what was the plot of it, but it's theme is if you go get something, you may get it; but if you just stay there and don't do anything, it would never come to you. So now I am very active in classes at school. When the teacher ask a question, I would go answer it. Sometimes I am wrong, but I can learn more things from that. 

In Cynthia Kadahota's Kira-Kira, the author creates a character Lynn. Who died, but teach her sister Katie a lot and make her into another girl, a young adult. Like Katie, I can think a person who gives me a huge influence. Once I was in Angkor Wat, Cambodia. It’s rain heavily; we were trapped in a pavilion. I was really crazy about the rain: because it doesn’t seems to stop! Then I noticed an old man sat on a step, and read quietly. He head up sometimes, and look around the views. I wonder what is he doing and why could he stay so quite like that. He is trap in the pavilion too. Then I tried to take a book, sat on the step and read quietly. I thought the whole world was quiet, no rain, no complain. Only the book and the view. The old man influences me a lot. After that, when I was crazy about something, I stop and read. That also makes me know a lot from the book.

@ Mark,

This is wonderful. I hope your math teacher knows how you feel about her advice. And as your teacher, I can say for sure that you really live what you say.  As a teacher, I can also say that this attitude will take you very, very far. Too often, people are so afraid of failing, they don't take chances in situations where they might actually succeed.  You've put into words exactly what I would like to pass on to every student I teach, which is, "Always take the shot, and if you fail, you'll learn from it, so you didn't really fail."

In Cynthia Kadahota’s novel Kira-Kira, Lynn had influenced his sister—Katie to be a ripe adult. She taught Katie to take the responsibility and wanted her to study harder and even went to college. There was a person who had influenced me a lot. That was my mother. When I was young, I always played and watched TV right away after I went home. Even though I knew that was wrong, but I still didn’t want to do my homework or study before I played. One day, after I played, I suddenly discovered that I didn’t finish the homework yet, but it was to late to do it. The next day I got my teacher and parents’ punishment. That was a horrible experience. After that, my mom taught me to make my own study schedule. I did the homework and study for the next day’s test before I had fun. After doing this, I realized that this could make me played more happily because I didn’t need to worry about my homework when I was playing. I was really appreciative that she taught me to use my time wisely and worked before playing.

You did a great job on this assignment. Alfonso.  This opening is particularly nice:"There was a person who had influenced me a lot. That was my mother. " I like how you vary the sentence length so that the introduction of your mother as the person packs a punch (idiom meaning has an emotional impact). You have also gotten very good at using transitions to make sure your sentences move smoothly into one another. In short, you are really thinking like a writer, which is great. I will send you some additional comments via e-mail. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.