Skip to main content

Hi class!

For next week, please read chapters 18, 19, 20, and 21, pages 149-182.  You may need to plan extra time for catching up on the reading assignment.  I expect everyone to read through chapter 21 for next week.  That being said, take your time with reading and make sure you understand the content!

Then, please write an essay of YOUR own choice! Let it be a discussion of anything you've been thinking about in terms of the characters, the situation, the writing style, or the book as a whole.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Lucas' Homework:

Homework for ‘The Catcher in the Rye’

Q: What can we learn from Holden’s conversation with Luce?

A: First of all, Luce was Holden’s classmate in Whooton and several years older than Holden, so Holden thought that if he had a conversation with Luce, he would get a lot of useful advice from him. However, although Luce said himself mature, he was not indeed, so he did not give Holden any suggestion to help. So in my opinion, I think since Holden is influenced because not understanding adults and having some wrong concepts about their worlds. Secondly, Luce always talk about sex and Holden still came to him for help since Holden thought he was a friend. However, I think Holden chose a wrong friend who does not do and talk properly and gives others a hand when they are in trouble. For example, Luce did not say hello when they met. When they had a conversation, Holden was attracted to ask about Luce’s girlfriend, not other important things and Luce refused to answer Holden’s questions and always kept silent.

Nick's Homework:

As a teenager in author J.D.SALINGER’s novel the Catcher in the Rye, Holden resembled many similar characters as a modern day adolescent. The detail reasons will be discussed in the following paragraphs. 

To begin with, it is essential to understand that Holden Caulfield was an emotionally vulnerable person. He had been depressed by various of things. For instance, his got upset by the fact that his friends Jane went on a date with his roommate straddler. In this world, some teenagers who hit puberty had turned into an emotionally weak person like Holden Caulfield. They would fell that the world had abandoned them, and their future would comprise with darkness. However, most modern adolescents managed to pull themselves out of this dilemma. On the other hand, Holden blamed his depression as a the result of this society. Thus, he had failed to overcome his immatureness. 

Furthermore, Holden had frequently use lies to get himself out of trouble. For example, he lied about his age when he wants to get a drink. This is another characteristic that also appeared in modern day teenagers. Many teenagers were scared to face their consequences, and they covered themselves with lies so that they can protect themselves from getting in to trouble 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.