Skip to main content

Reading Assignment: Read pages 85-116 of Shooting Kabul

Writing Assignment: Dear Mr. Henshaw begins when Leigh is in the 2nd grade and ends when he is in the 6th.  When the novel begins, he is a young boy miserable about the separation of his parents and generally hopeless about changing his life. Please explain at least two ways that he has changed by the time the novel comes to an end. Begin with a statement that generally describes how he started out while indicating that changes took place, for instance:

1. At the beginning of Beverly Cleary’s Dear Mr. Henshaw, Leigh Botts is a friendless and unhappy little boy, but as Cleary tells the story, Leigh learns a lot from  writing to his idol Mr. Henshaw.

2. In the opening pages of Beverly Cleary’s Dear Mr. Henshaw, Leigh Botts is both lonely and angry; but, by the book’s end, he has undergone some changes.

*** These are examples. Do not use them in your writing. Create your own. You are all good writers. You don't need to copy anyone, not even me.

Last edited by Laraine
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hello Laraine

At the beginning of the book Dear Mr Henshaw,Leigh is a boy who always mad at something.He mad about his mother things he must answer Mr Henshaw's questions,mad about the lunch box thief......Even rude in the letter to Mr Henshaw.He always arounds himself and doesn't care about other people's feeling.But,at last,Leigh became friendly.He is going to think about other people's feeling.He helped his friend Barry get on the alarm for his bedroom's door.He give the dog fot his father.He said to his father:"Dad,tou keep Bandit.You need him more than I do.Please take him.I don't have any way to amuse him."[133]

Enya, This is just perfect. You fulfilled the assignment beautifully right down to the quotation and the page number!!! And ending on the quotation was a stroke of genius (idiom meaning, really really smart) because the quote has a feeling of finality to it.

I am really impressed. There are a few things I will write you about in an e-mail. But over overall, THIS IS A TERRIFIC PIECE OF WORK.  See you tomorrow.  Laraine

Here is Doris's writing on last week's topic.

Leigh is a young boy miserable about the separation of his parents and generally hopeless about changing his life.

I think when Leigh is at the Year 2, he is a friendless and a angry boy, but after he learns a lot from writing letters to his idol Mr. Henshaw, he writing the litters for 4 years; so, when he was Year 6, he become more friend and more happy, he also made a friend who called Barry.

Leigh is change a lot in his life, I hope he can do it better!!!!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.