Skip to main content

Please read p. 187-231 (Chapters 43-50) of Holes.

Respond to the following on the forum: This is a story about juvenile delinquents, about learning, about reading, about crooks, thieves, and pig-stealings. Or is it? What satirical comments are being made about our views of these folks? Give two examples.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think this book made satirical comments about the laws of USA long ago. Negroes are like slaves, they do most of the hard works, and the others treat them as animals. That's why Kate Barlow was so angry about the world and she wanted to revenge. That was unfair to treat the black people like that, because it isn't their fault to be black. And I think it made satirical comments about the greedy people like the Walkers. Trout's wife was married to him because he is rich, and after their money had gone, they and their sons and daughters kept digging. They did many bad things for these money, like using the boys as workers and doesn't care about their lives. 

I think this book is a kind of mystery novel. I am not sure weather the story is base on a true story or not, but I think it must have some satirical comment. It truly talks about juvenile delinquents, learning, reading, crooks and so on. But I think it's not the main point. First, I think it criticized inequality, or unfair. Stanley was innocent. He shouldn't be here in the Camp Green Lake. But, no one believes him. Second, I think it blamed hypocrisy. Camp Green Lake is not a place that can build character. Actually, they do these to help the warden to find the treasure. Third, I think it criticized superstition. When something bad happens, they will all view it as a result of curse.

I think one of the satirical comments is that we usually stand on a “high hill” of literacy and look down on the one who is called “stupid”. For example, in the book, many people such as the Warden considered Zeroni a completely fool just because Zeroni seldom talked to her. However, in fact Zeroni learned very fast and he was a very smart person. I learned it when he said Stanley’s name was on the case. The author also wrote many similar cases such as Mr. Pendanski (when he asked the boy that what they wanted to be in the future, he seemed very kind but in fact he wasn’t) and the Warden. It shows that the readers often consider the folks’ characteristic so fast and don’t think more until the truth is shown.

In the reality life we also might define a person too fast. I think this idea is similar to one of the ideas in Charlottes’ Web.

The second comment I found is that people seldom want to take the blame of a mistake or an unlucky thing. When Stanley Yelnatss caught in an unlucky thing, they would blame the pig-stealing Yelnats. In the end of the book, Stanley’s mum even doubt if Elya Yelnats really stole a pig when Stanley returned home.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.