Skip to main content

Please read p. 48-94 (Chapters 10-21) of Holes. On the forum, respond to the following (200 word minimum): As Stanley adjusts to life at Camp Green Lake, he begins to mimic various characteristics of the other campers. How does his personality change? Please read your classmate's responses and respond to at least one other post. To prepare for next class, visit http://www.scholastic.com/holes/matchgame.htm. Click on the “Explore” tab and choose “Louis Sachar on Writing”. Read the sections The Writing Process, Staying Motivated, and Being an Author.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Stanley behaved more differently. He began to give X-Ray what he found in the hole instead of collecting them for his “one day off” (P53). He also began to accept the name “Caveman” that others gave him instead of using “Stanley Yelnats” (P74). He paid more attention to Zero and what the real target Camp Green Lake had according to the Warden’s behaviors. I think it was the peer pressure that made Stanley changed. He wanted to be protected and have a good status in Group D so he needed to hide some of his true personalities and created something else that could suit him to be comfortable in Group D. P53 and P74 both show that Stanley considered the nickname others gave him a sign that he had been accepted and he wanted to be accepted. Another example I have found was on P83 about the boy Squid. I think he acted totally different in day time and in night. It shows that some other boys in Group D also were in the peer pressure and hide some of their true personalities. From P19-P20, Stanley called Armpit “Theodore” and couldn’t figure out why Theodore wanted to be called “Armpit”. I think now, I mean from P48-P94, Stanley had begun to figure out some implicit rules in Group D and also among the Warden, Mr. Sir, Mr. Pendanski, the town of Green Lake and the Camp Green Lake.

Dear Bob, These are good beginning ideas, though I was looking for a much longer, more developed response. You mentioned Stanley became good at making friends; How did he bond with these new friends, what did he learn from them? You also mention Stanley became stronger by digging holes-- is he stronger only physically, or mentally as well? These are all questions you can use to expand your response! Next time, keep writing… Originally Posted by bob:

Stanley was fat, but after he dug many holes, he became stronger and less fat. He wasn't good at making friends, but he is now. 

Dear Nancy, Great job using textual evidence in your response! You do a great job of addressing numerous other campers and their affects on Stanley. Your comment "He wanted to be protected and have a good status in Group D" is absolutely true! One note is that your opening sentence should directly address the question so we understand what you are about to discuss, such as "As Stanley adjusts to life on Camp Green Lake, he begins to mimic various characteristics of other campers, and he begins to behave differently." Originally Posted by Nancy:

Stanley behaved more differently. He began to give X-Ray what he found in the hole instead of collecting them for his “one day off” (P53). He also began to accept the name “Caveman” that others gave him instead of using “Stanley Yelnats” (P74). He paid more attention to Zero and what the real target Camp Green Lake had according to the Warden’s behaviors. I think it was the peer pressure that made Stanley changed. He wanted to be protected and have a good status in Group D so he needed to hide some of his true personalities and created something else that could suit him to be comfortable in Group D. P53 and P74 both show that Stanley considered the nickname others gave him a sign that he had been accepted and he wanted to be accepted. Another example I have found was on P83 about the boy Squid. I think he acted totally different in day time and in night. It shows that some other boys in Group D also were in the peer pressure and hide some of their true personalities. From P19-P20, Stanley called Armpit “Theodore” and couldn’t figure out why Theodore wanted to be called “Armpit”. I think now, I mean from P48-P94, Stanley had begun to figure out some implicit rules in Group D and also among the Warden, Mr. Sir, Mr. Pendanski, the town of Green Lake and the Camp Green Lake.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.