Skip to main content

Reply to "Reading and Writing Assignments for 9/8/16 27th class"

In Karen Hesse’s novel Out of the Dust, the main character, Billie Jo, wanted to help during the fire accident but only burned her mom and herself badly in the end. In an emergency, many people would become extraordinarily nervous and always do something that doesn’t not help but only make the situation worse. In the story, Billie Jo wanted to throw the fire out but she didn’t notice that her mother was coming right after her, so her mother became a pillar of fire. In a really bad situation, her brain didn’t think as carefully as usual, so finally cause the disaster. After that, she wanted to make the fire off, but she didn’t use the water or something else but her own hands. That didn’t help much and only hurt her fingers.

I am just like her. Always feel nervous and don’t think too much in an emergency. One day, when all of the students were enjoy eating pizza at the cram school, I wanted to get some soft drink. I poured the soda into the cup, but I was too greedy then that I wanted to fill the cup with drinks and forgot the bubbles of the soda. The bubbles overflew quickly, so I was really nervous and wanted to drink them instantly so the situation wouldn’t be too bad. I successfully did that, but I forgot the most important thing—to put the bottle carefully, so the whole bottle of soda dropped off the ground. If I wasn’t too nervous and placed the bottle slowly, the trouble wouldn’t come. Next time, I’ll be calm and think carefully when things happened like that.