Skip to main content

Reply to "Reading and Writing Assignments for 8/4/16 22nd class"

Hi Mark, You definitely have a clear understanding of how the society worked at the time. I'm not so sure, though, that I would include Slim among the rich white bosses. But you are certainly right -and this is part of the naturalist tradtiion--that nothing ever changes.

What's missing here is the reaction of Crook's to Curley's wife, her response to him and the effect that response has on Crooks.  But now I'm worried that's my fault because I made the assignment so long. If you get a chance, consider revising to include this part of the assignment: 

Then illustrate that point (that relationships between black and white were all in favor of white people making black people serve them) by  paraphrasing (putting into your own words), what Crooks does in the passage shown below.. Next,  explain how Curley's wife responds and the effect her response has on Crooks.    (Note this has three parts: (1) paraphrase (2) Curley's wife's response (3) Crooks's reaction

"Crooks stood up from his bunk and faced her. “I had enough,” he said coldly. “You got no rights comin’ in a colored man’s room. You got no rights messing around in here at all. Now you jus’ get out, an’ get out quick. If you don’t, I’m gonna ast the boss not to ever let you come in the barn no more.”  (Steinbeck, John. Of Mice and Men (p. 80)

I know I owe you an e-mail about last week's asssignment. I'll send that out to today and then follow with one about this assignment. 

Last edited by Laraine