Skip to main content

Reading Assignment: pp.43-86  The Summer of the Swans

Writing Assignment: We used Mark's assignment last week. This week it's Cindy's turn and she chose the following: Please write a few sentences explaining what you think the swans  will symbolize, or stand for, in the book. In other words, why are they in the title and what  do you think  the author wants to say about the real world through their presence in the story.

At this point, most of the assignment is just guess work because all you know so far is how the two characters reacted to the swans in Chapter 7. So  start by describing the reaction of Sara and Charlie  to the swans and say what you think this says about them as people. Are they, for instance, fascinated by the swans or scared of them. Is Charlie more intrigued (interested in a powerful way) than Sara, or are they both equally drawn to the swans? 

Here's a little background information that can help you with the second part of the writing where you say what you think the swans will symbolize by the time you finish the book.

Background Information

Swans have many meanings depending on the culture. The  ancient Romans associated, or connected, them to love.  The ancient Germans thought that women warriors could transform themselves into swans when they needed to.  The early Greeks associated* swans with light and the sun.  Because they are associated with water, swans are seen as a symbol of transformation (one of our key words throughout this class).

Many different cultures have some version of the ugly duckling who turns into a swan. But perhaps the most famous is by the Danish writer of fairy tales, Hans Christian Anderson. In this version of  the story, a duckling feels ugly and unloved--sound familiar from the story-- but after some struggles and over time, the duckling turns out to be a beautiful swan, who is admired by all.  

* Yes that's a hint to use the word "associated" in your writing. It's a word common to both conversation and academic writing. 

Last edited by Laraine
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here is Mark's response:

I think in the book  The Summer of the Swans Charlie was more intrigued with the swans than Sara. When Sara wanted to go home, Charlie still wanted to watch the swans. But Sara wants to chat with her classmate, Mary but she had to take Charlie with her, so she was not happy to watch the swans. I think the swans stand for perfect and beautiful things in the book. I think the book is about a girl who is not so good but will  became better and better. Because there's a story about a ugly duck becoming  a beautiful swan,  I think Sara will also become a good girl just like the ugly duck become a beautiful swan. 
Last edited by Laraine

I think you are right about Charlie being mesmerized (fascinated) by the swans. I think for him they are particularly important. It's interesting that you say they stand for "perfect and beautiful things in the book." Charlie's mental disability is called "autism," and one of the many things autistic children can't tolerate is the sense that something is missing or out of order.  Thus you are correct to link the swans to perfection and make that part of Charlie's attraction to them. I want to bring that point up in class because it's an excellent insight and worthy of more discussion.

And lest I forget, how perfectly you picked up the word intrigued from the assignment and used it in your own writing. Nice work, as always. LM.F

P.S. I wil e-mail you a couple of comments as well.

In the book ‘The Summer of the Swans’, the swans are really important to the story. The swan is a guide for the book. I think those swans have a special mean to Charlie. Swan, means pure and freedom. And Charlie is a boy who never talk, it’s mean he locked himself so he don’t have any freedom. Charlie can be close to the swans maybe because of this. Only the swans can know what he is thinking about, only the swans can feel what Charlie feel is. Because the swan means love. Swan can pardon Charlie. They have some special relation to each other. That mean swans are not just a unimportant part in the whole book.

Hello,Laraine

In the book The Summer of the Swans Charlie and Sara went to see the swans. I think Charlie likes watching swans more than Sara.    For Sara, she can go to see the swans every summer because she knows they will be here every summer. So she is not very very intereted in it at one time. But Charlie is different.  He is not a normal boy. His brain had been injured when he was three years old by his illness. He is more pure than Sara. He doesn't know the swans come every year. The swans are so nice. He thinks it may be the only time he could see them. So he willl more cherish the time he is with them. To see the swans. He even goes out at night  and wants to watch them again.

I think the book's title is The Summer of the Swans because the swans means nice,pure, kind and luck. It may tell us a story about Sara. A girl always thinks everything is bad.But after she sees the swans and her brother loses, she changes. She  starts to thinks the world is nice and kind.(May after she finds Charlie)

Well done Enya!!  And what a good insight into why the two of them view the swans differently. Sara knows they might well be back but Charlie cannot think that way because he suffers from autism.  Many perfectly written and perfectly punctuated English sentences here and lovely verb choice in "cherish." I think you  are also right  in saying that the title tells "a story about Sara." I love the way you make that point as well, "It may tell us a story about Sara," which is what titles often do: They tell us a story. 

Last edited by Laraine

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.